Monday, April 7, 2014

Things I'm Loving Now: April

The theme of this post is borrowed (stolen) from my friend Leslie. Remember, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

I'm really getting a kick out of my new Kindle. It's got a bright screen, it was reasonably priced, and it's small and light enough to carry around all the time. I'm having a lot of fun with it. 


Since I don't have the budget for serious jewels, I'm building a library of them instead. In 1912, some workmen were excavating a sub-basement in Cheapside (London), and stumbled on a cache of jewelry that had been lost since the Great Fire (1666). This is more than just a catalog or a book of pretty pictures, it tells about the discovery of the cache, and about jewelry making at the time. Did you know that "the acid test" and "up to scratch" are goldsmith's terms, and originally refer to proving the karat weight of gold? Lots of fun nerdy stuff like that, and the pictures are gorgeous! 


I watched the original Cosmos as a child, and remember being mesmerized. This updated version of the series is a worthy continuation. And I've been a fan of Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson for years. You can see clips and full episodes online at http://www.cosmosontv.com/.


And last but not least, sushi socks! What's not to love?




No comments:

Post a Comment