Monday, January 26, 2015

Getting out of the House: Armand Bayou

I have two goals for this year:

1. Finish (or at least get some headway on) all the half-finished projects around the house.
2. Get out of the house on a regular basis, and work doesn't count.

Since I made some headway on goal one by framing my art prints, this week I focused on getting out of the house. I went hiking in Armand Bayou.

Armand Bayou is a nature preserve, close to Clear Lake and Pasadena. It is unique in that it was not set up by the state or federal government, but is actually a 501(c)3 charity. It is the largest urban nature preserve in the US.

This was probably not the best time for a visit;  it had rained only two days before, so there was a lot of mud, very slippery mud, around large puddles. A few in my group ended up falling into the puddles, because the trail was so slick. Still, no serious damage done, just a few bruised egos, and lot of wet sneakers.

Dampness aside, it was a beautiful day. That special kind of Texas winter day, when the sky is a cloudless bright blue, and the temperature is cool but not cold. I'd like to go back, when it's dryer, and see what it looks like when there are more leaves on the trees.

red tailed hawks (I think)

Turtles, enjoying the sun

Tree fungus

Purple fungus, but it looked burgundy with the sun shining through it


Tidal marsh, doesn't the tree stump look sculpted by the wind?

Red flower at the visitor's center

No comments:

Post a Comment