Monday, August 27, 2012

So what's a month?

First, I apologize for the delay. I've been having technical difficulties with my computer. I still can't post pictures, but I can at least get to the dashboard. I have a technician coming to look at things this week, -fingers crossed!

Second, I'm going to take the advice of Matt Cutts and Try Something New for 30 Days. I first talked about this in February, if you remember. But getting burgled has a way of changing your priorities. I  think I'm settled enough now to get back to it.

I'm in a "shaking off the dust" cycle in my life.  I'm trying to pick up new habits/get rid of bad ones/get out of the house.  So last week I started exercise. I don't like exercising. I don't hate exercising. I just find it boring. That's why it used to take grades and a gym coach yelling at me to get me to do it.

When I lived in California, I used to go on hikes (hiking is a requirement of living in Northern California) and the hikers fell into two categories. The 'serious' hikers who are very aware of time, wear bodybuggs, and obsess about their heart rate dropping. (Step it up! If we don't make it to Pinchpenny Pass by 10:30 we'll never make it to Flyweight Falls by noon!) and the ones who just wanted to look at the scenery and have a nice time. I was in the second group. What's the point of going out into the glorious California scenery if you can't stop to take pictures and drink it all in?  And if there's a bar at the halfway point, so much the better!

Eventually the serious hikers started putting things like "This hike is for SERIOUS hikers only." on the sign up sheets.  Insulting, but it made life easier for those of us who just wanted to look at the scenery and meet new people.

But to get back to the point,  I keep hearing about all the benefits of exercise (increases bone density, makes you look younger, avoid arthritis, sleep better...) , so for 30 days, I'm going to exercise every day for at least 30 minutes. I started on Thursday (the 23rd) and have managed to do my 30 minutes every day so far. I know 4 days doesn't sound like much, but it's the most consecutive days I've been to the gym in years.

No comments:

Post a Comment