Monday, February 10, 2014

The Olympics have started!


I love the Olympics. I love the pageantry of the Opening Ceremonies, the lighting of the flame, the flags, the anthems, everything. Which is odd, since I am usually indifferent to sports. But the Olympics for some reason doesn't bore me like regular sports.

Maybe it's because it's mostly individual events. Or that it's (mainly) sports I never see, which gives it novelty value. I was never made to luge, ski, or speed skate when I was growing up. I was never herded into my high school auditorium and told to cheer for the curling team. I like that enjoying it is non-compulsory. (And if you think cheering for the football team is not compulsory, you didn't go to high school in Texas.)

I enjoyed watching the Dutch sweep speed skating this weekend, go orange! And Davis and White were just magical on the ice, weren't they?



And weren't the opening ceremonies fun?

A Russian Alice in Wonderland on Acid

So for the next two weeks, I'll be getting my bi-annual dose of sports. Then I'll be good until Rio.

No comments:

Post a Comment