Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Summer Salad #1

I've always felt that radishes, as a vegetable, are under-appreciated. They are carved and left on the edge of the plate as a garnish, or used as thin slivers to add crunch, but you almost never see them in the main role.



That ended this week, when I found the radish salad of my dreams. There is no lettuce to temper the radish's peppery bite. Instead, it ups the ante with garlic, capers, and anchovy.

The coolness of the radishes and the intense garlicky-ness of the dressing would be a wonderful counterpoint to a grilled steak. Technically, the recipe serves 4, though to be honest. I ate the entire salad for dinner by itself.  Eat with garlic-loving friends, or brush your teeth afterwards. This is a salad to frighten vampires.

Only one clove - but it packs a punch
And it is a snap to put together. I didn't time myself, but I was surprised at how quickly I was done. Definitely in the 20 minutes or under category.

Radish Salad with Anchovy Dressing

large bunch of radishes
1 teaspoon of capers
1 clove garlic
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
1 anchovy fillet (the kind that come packed in oil)
1 tablespoon parsley
salt to taste

Wash and trim radishes. Dry and cut into quarters.

Blend/crush the rest of the ingredients together in a mortar or in a small grinder until it forms a rough paste. Salt to taste, anchovies and capers are salty on their own, so be cautious.

Put dressing on radishes and serve.




No comments:

Post a Comment