Monday, June 30, 2014

Blueberries!

It's summer, and that means my annual trip to Moorhead's Blueberry Farm. I love blueberries, but I also get a charge out of picking them myself, and it's a LOT cheaper. There's also the entertainment value.  Blueberry bushes are quite tall and bushy, so you can't really see anyone more than 10 feet away, so there's a tendency to forget that there are other people around you, which makes for great eavesdropping.  The topics of conversation are broader than one might expect from a bunch of people picking fruit.

Pride: 
"Mommy! Look! Look, Mommy! I picked the biggest blueberry in the WORLD!"

The berries are huge this year
Ethics/Death Penalty:
"I asked him why he killed the grasshopper and he said it was because the grasshopper had killed the lovebugs, and the lovebugs hadn't done anything to him."

Practicality:
The woman in the row behind me accidentally dropped a handful of berries down her shirt. There was a pause and then her friend said: "Well, now you have a snack for later."

I spent about an hour picking, and I gathered almost 9 pounds of fruit. The berries are huge this year. And sweet too. There are a ton of blueberry recipes out there: pancakes, pies, jam, muffins, smoothies, even wine (if you're feeling like a challenge) but honestly, that's too much work.  It's summer, it's hot, and there is nothing better than having a big bowl of blueberries in the fridge. I've been eating my almost 9 pounds plain. They are very nice tossed into a salad, or on top of some plain yogurt for breakfast, or even just grabbing the occasional handful when I get the munchies. Why gild the lily?


No comments:

Post a Comment