Monday, September 15, 2014

A visit to San Juan, in pictures


The first week of September, I went to San Juan, Puerto Rico. I stayed in the old city, partly because it's got the oldest architecture and highest density of museums, and partly because I wanted to be able to walk everywhere.

Rainy day in the capitol
Overall, it was sunny and warm and pretty, full of interesting animals

iguana at El Morro

Parrots - unfortunately green birds in green trees don't show very well
architecture,
Small chapel in the cathedral
I don't know what this building is, but I liked the colors
and handicrafts unique to the island.



Carved saints (santos) are a traditional craft. The Magi are very popular subjects.
This is the three kings playing dominoes with Santa Claus.

Painted soda bottles - tourists really will buy anything

But I just enjoyed the chance to be somewhere new and to spend days doing nothing but taking pictures. (and tasting rum, but that's another story...)

Spanish fort - El Morro

The cobblestones in old San Juan are blue. The contrast with the red petals was too much to pass up.

I just really liked the door knocker

painted ox-cart wheel - Museo de las Americas

Bacardi factory tour (meh - at least it was free)

leftover from the World Cup

Arches - Castillo San Cristobal

The most colorful basketball court I've ever seen

wall art



No comments:

Post a Comment