Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Paleo diet: Zucchini pancakes

Last weekend, I made a decision I'd been putting off for about a year. It took all day, but I finally did it. I bought a car. Isn't it pretty?


And the wonderful thing is, I won't have to do this again for at least 10 years!  Car shopping is unpleasant, long, and expensive. I'd gotten used to not having a car payment, and now I've just added another payment plan into my life. Ouch.

shredded zucchini - ready to go
So in the spirit of economy, I offer zucchini pancakes. They are tasty, extremely easy, and quite cheap. They are also paleo approved. 

zucchini batter
Because there is very little flour in these, the batter (mostly beaten egg) tends to run all over. In the end, I got frustrated trying to cope with little pancakes and just dumped all the batter in the pan, making one big pancake, and then cutting it into wedges with the kitchen shears.

Originally I thought it looked like a sun, but now I think it's more of an amoeba
Either way, it makes a pleasant meal. Serve plain or with salsa. 


Zucchini Pancakes 
from Practical Paleo - serves two

3 large eggs
2 cups shredded zucchini 
1 tablespoon coconut flour
Coconut oil or bacon grease for frying
salt and pepper to taste

Beat the eggs with the coconut flour, salt and black pepper. Mix in the shredded zucchini until well combined.

Add about 1/8" of coconut oil to a large skillet over medium-low heat. Spoon the mixture into the mixture into the skillet in "cakes" that are approximately 4-6 inches in diameter.

Cook until they hold together, flipping as you would a standard pancake.






1 comment: