Friday, October 5, 2012

Fall Favorites

It's October, and that means a lot of things to people: falling temperatures, changing leaves, getting your favorite sweaters out of storage, the Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte, and corn mazes.



My favorite thing about October? Pumpkins!

I know it's a little odd, but I just love them. They are so bright and cheerful.


They come in a lot of shapes

And colors


And you can cook them!



I lived in a co-op for a couple of years, and one Halloween the co-op board bought an enormous amount of pumpkins for a party.  We made a lot of jack-o-lanterns, but we still had dozens left over, and then someone had the bright idea of putting them in the pool. The bright orange balls floating in turquoise water was unexpectedly pretty and was a less literal way of saying Halloween party than witches and ghosts.

Later, some of the guys (probably a little drunk) came up with a game - pumpkin toss. You had to stand on the sundeck, and toss the pumpkin so that it hit the end of the diving board and bounce into the pool. (What can I say? It was college.)

That's when I found out how tough pumpkins are. It took many, many, tosses for the pumpkins to actually break. (Fortunately, I didn't have to clean the pool filter.) And next spring, we had pumpkin vines growing around the pool.

Friday Feel-good Video
I love the original, but the modern mash-up with the Black-Eyed Peas works. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment