Friday, March 15, 2013

Neo-luddite


I don't have an i-pod.

My phone is 6 years old, and I'm not thinking about replacing it.

I watch television on a television. And I take photographs with a camera.

My name is Rebecca and I'm a late adopter.

Don't get me wrong. I'm in favor of technology. I like it. I use it all the time, I just don't get excited about it. I'm never going to be the person in line waiting for the latest iteration of the i-phone. They're cool, but they just don't do it for me. Part of it is I don't like getting rid of tools that work. My phone works. It calls people. It texts. I can check my email on it. It does everything I ask - so why buy a new one? I don't want to take pictures with it, or video conference. (Pictures in bad lighting from an unflattering angle - nothing has ever been made better by video conference.)

Electronic technology is notorious for its short shelf life. It's "the latest and greatest" for barely a week before people start listing deficiencies and talking about what should be in the next version. I'd rather wait. When I finally do buy a phone, i-pod, or whatever, the bugs will have been worked out. The price will have dropped. Or my friends and family will be so annoyed at my olde-worlde ways, they'll buy me one for Christmas (free is always good). I got a lecture last weekend on why I should stop playing CDs and get an i-pod, and maybe a sound bar. I don't know what a sound bar looks like, but it sounds expensive.

I'll wait. When the price is less than my couch, I'll consider it.

Friday Fun Video
Newer is not always better

1 comment:

  1. I'm selectively Luddite-ish. If a given technology saves me time, I'll likely upgrade/buy as soon as I've determined for certain that it will. However, for other technologies, I see no need to upgrade or jump on the first-mover bandwagon.

    An example? The iPad. I have a Windows Phone and a Windows laptop. The iPad looked like fun, but only fun: A media-consumption device, something to waste time on. And it didn't fit into my electronics eco system, making it stand-alone as a device--no integration advantage.

    However, when the Windows Surface arrived on the scene, I preordered one. It fits my ecosystem, has a keyboard for notes in meetings (more than just the iPad's touchscreen), and saves me time by ensuring I have all documents across all machines and that I don't have to type up handwritten notes.

    Leslie
    www.lesliefarnsworth.com

    ReplyDelete