Monday, March 4, 2013

Spring and other difficulties

outside The Guild Shop on Dunlavy
It's Spring! Well, not officially, but all the trees are in bloom and the garden centers are full of new and exciting plants to try. I'm trying my own little experiment: I purchased three pots of horsetail reeds (Equisetum hyemale) and planted them in the wet corner of the backyard. They are supposed to like water. My hope is that they'll flourish and create some visual interest in a really boring part of the yard. We'll see.
 
In other news, my father had eye surgery last week. It was a total surprise, but somehow he tore something in his eye. He's fine, and there should be no lasting damage, but for the next week (maybe two) he's not allowed to read and he has to sleep sitting up. I don't know which would be worse. I can't imagine not reading for two weeks. My job would be impossible for a start, but then what would I do with the spare time? No newspapers, no blogs, no letters, no books!
 
He's tired from trying to sleep upright, but the no reading condition is really wearing on him. When I saw him yesterday, he was going to get some books on tape, and he's called me twice today for recipes. Since he can't read, he'll cook.  This should be interesting.

3 comments:

  1. Hm. Food from a chef who can't read--but seeks recipes. Would be interesting if we didn't already know from the soup recipe you posted earlier that your dad's quite the cook!

    Leslie
    www.lesliefarnsworth.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's an...interesting cook. When it works, it's great. But the failures can be epic. I've been getting free drinks for the beef jerky story for years.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete