I've been given the Liebster Award.
The Leibster Award aims to raise the profile of blogs and bloggers who may not have yet achieved widespread attention.
The Liebster Award is very idiosyncratic. It is given at the discretion of other bloggers, and the rule is that if you accept, you have to give it 3-5 bloggers you feel are deserving of the award.
There are a few other requirements:
- Link to the blogger who gave me the award: Leslie Farnsworth, who writes an excellent blog, well worth checking out.
- Answer the eleven questions my nominator sent.
- List eleven facts about myself.
- Give the award to 3-5 other bloggers with fewer than 2,000 followers (or whom I feel deserve more recognition.)
- Ask the bloggers to whom I've given the award eleven questions
Leslie's 11 Questions to Me
1. What was the last book you read? Would your recommend it? The last book I read was Petty Treason - which is a fun couple of hours solving a mystery in Regency England. Not great literature, but a good time.
2. Out of all current events, which most sparks your imagination or passion? Why? The Affordable Health Care Act. On one hand, I support the goals of the bill, however, it is hard to justify legislation that is so poorly written and the execution of which was so incredibly bad.
3. If you could recommend only one activity from your last vacation, what would you choose? Why? Photography. Taking pictures trains you to spend time really looking at a place, not just letting it pass by in a blur of scenery. Even if your shots don't come out, your memories will be that much sharper, because you took the time to really look.
4. Pick your weather poison: Bitingly cold or swelteringly muggy? I'll take heat every time. Heat inspires better drinks.
5. Finish this sentence: "She walked up to the information desk, hoping, in vain, that someone would be there." That's what always happens when I go to the information desk.
6. What's your favorite news source? I toggle between NPR, BBC America, and PBS
7. What is the best advice your mother ever gave you? Don't let stuff accumulate: use it, donate it or throw it out.
8. If you were a cookie, what kind would you be? Oatmeal raisin: a bit old fashioned and not the prettiest in the shop, but with surprising warmth and depth of flavor.
9. Name the best place you've lived. Why do you consider it the best? Singapore. Not only lovely, but probably the happiest time in my life.
10. Share the recipe for the best dish you cook. And give away all my secrets?
11. What was your last simple pleasure? Waking up in the dark on a Sunday morning after the first real cold snap, and turning on the fireplace.
I will have to think about the rest and post on Friday.