Monday, July 28, 2014

An Embarrassing Way to Meet the Neighbors

It's hot out. 

I know this. I'm prepared for it. I don't go outside in the middle of the day. I wear sunblock and sleeves. I drink a lot of water.  That doesn't always help.

As you know, I'm trying to work more exercise into my life. Last week, I decided to ride my bike around the neighborhood, nothing too crazy, only 30 to 40 minutes. I waited until 7, so the sun was lower in the sky, the heat was dissipating and things were going fine. 

Until I reached the gate. 


My house is in a gated community, and the gates close at 7 pm. If I had been able to pedal right up to my house, I think I would have been okay, but I had to stop to punch the code into the gate. And when I stopped, the world blurred and I fell over. 

To be clear, I didn't faint. I was conscious, but incredibly dizzy. I knew I was overheated, so I just lay there for a bit, focusing on breathing. Some of my neighbors came by in a car, and asked if I was okay (obviously not) but I said I just needed to get to my house and cool down a bit. I struggled to my feet, pushed my bike through the gate, and collapsed a second time. 

Another neighbor, who was out trimming his yard, saw me fall and brought over a bottle of Powerade. Together, they got me into the car and drove me the half block to my house, while someone else walked my bike over. The Powerade and the rest helped me recover enough of my manners to thank everyone and promise that I would not go bike riding again until it was cooler. Like October.

Only later, after a cold shower and change, did I realize that I'd really banged myself up when I fell. I have bruises on my legs from the curb and all sorts of scratches from the juniper that I collapsed into.

Be nice to your neighbors, and careful in this heat! 

No comments:

Post a Comment