Monday, November 3, 2014

International Quilt Festival - 2014




I went to the 40th Annual International Quilt Festival this weekend.  It was one of those events that I've been hearing about for years, but never actually gone. 

Wow. I never imagined it was this big. It was huge. Half of it was devoted to booths with things for sale: sewing machines, antique fabrics, yarn, baskets, quilt kits, fat quarters, quilting templates, jewelry made out of antique buttons, etc.  This was fascinating in its own way, but the show really starts when you get to the exhibition space. 


Since this was the 40th Anniversary, there was a huge exhibit of red and white quilts (aka "red work"). None of these were in the competition, they were just there to show artistry. There was an exhibit of quilts from the Texas Quilt Museum. I have no photographs of these, because no picture were allowed, but it doesn't matter. I couldn't take enough pictures. There was an abundance of incredible artwork.  I wandered around for two and a half hours, and eventually gave up out of exhaustion. I just couldn't take any more in. If I ever do the festival again, I'll do it in stages, going over several days. 

Sometimes, you can't believe these things are fabric. 


Traditional Victorian crazy quilt
I don't know what this is, but isn't it neat?


And it wasn't just quilts, there was doll category.


Wearable art
Can't you just see this at Comic-con?
An entire table set with (quilted) regional food


I really loved this one from India. It's the colors of the rainbow, in Braille. You can read the quilt by touching it.


There was quite an international presence:

Australia
You can't see it in the picture, but the sky is all patterned with lines of the dreamtime
Japan
The artist said she created this for her 65th birthday, when it's traditional in Japan to don a red vest. 
France
This is actually a completely white quilt, with all the figures outlined in gold thread. It's spread on a light box so you can it it better. It's the story of Tristan and Iseult.
There was even a challenge from NASA. Astronaut Karen Nyberg created a square while on the ISS, and it became the start of a 28 panel quilt, with squares donated from all over the world.
 
part of one of the panels
I took so many pictures, my camera battery ran out. I can't post them all, but these are the best shots. Enjoy.

A tribute to a teacher

Mariners compass
You felt like you should be lighting candles in front of it.


Embellished
All buttons. I'm sure there's some quilting under there, but who cares?
This one was painted, then quilted.
Dreamy poppies

The inspiration for this quilt was The Book of Changes

Every one of those squares is about the size of a Chiclet. Imagine piecing that.

Samson and Delilah. Honestly, the photo does not do this one justice.


No comments:

Post a Comment