Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Field of Light

If you're looking for something neat to look at over the holidays, Discovery Green is hosting the Field of Light this year. I volunteered to help install it.

 
This is what it looked like when I got there. A lot of clear plastic poles linked with a spaghetti-like tangle of fiber-optic cables.
 

My job was to put glass bulbs on each plastic pole. For three and a half hours.  But the results are worth it, don't you think?
 
I've spent hours since then trying to remember what sci-fi show or movie it reminds me of, but I can't put my finger on it. (Space 1999?) They also remind me of enoki mushrooms.
 
I don't have any photos of it all lit up, because I haven't managed to get there yet. I know, I know, I spent all this time putting it together, but haven't seen the finished product. I hear it's beautiful, but with the holidays and all, I haven't managed to get to Discovery Green when it's dark. Maybe if it doesn't rain this weekend...
 
Fortunately, the Field of Light will be here until February 21st, so there's still time.

No comments:

Post a Comment