Monday, January 4, 2016

Things I gave myself for 2016

I've spent a fair amount of money these past two weeks. Not on presents, but on preparations for 2016. I've been stocking up (hand lotion, saline solution), replacing the worn out (mascara) and the most expensive category: supplies for new activities. The following items are ways I’m trying to improve and grow in the coming year.

How do you plan on improving your life in 2016?


A drawing journal



I was in the bookstore, looking at the journals when memories of all my previous half-finished and abandoned diaries filled my head. So I thought I’d try something different. Maybe I'll even get better at sketching. So far, I've drawn a clock face and my own feet.

The Holy Qur’an
 
This is supposed to be the definitive English translation.

There is so much debate about Islam these days, that I thought it might not be a bad idea to see what the book itself says. It's also been awhile since I've tackled serious literature. This should be mind-expanding in many ways.


A mini-bonsai kit

I like plants. George, my cat, likes plants. The problem is that I see plants as decoration/air purifiers while George sees them as salad. This is small enough that I can protect it from marauding felines.

A clean house

Not that I live in squalor, but I rarely shampoo the carpets and wash every single window pane. So I borrowed a rug shampooer, got out my rubber gloves and went to work.  I also went through my linen closet and threw out/donated everything I could. As a bonus, I had the car detailed. This is, literally, a clean start.

A skin care system
 
I’ve always been a Cetaphil and water girl.  But given my age, I'm beginning to think I should get a little more serious. Here's hoping.

Tickets



I have strong reclusive tendencies, so I’m always trying to find ways to get myself out of the house. I've committed myself to going to two operas and three plays between now and June. And I just found out that the Alley Theater is performing one of my favorite comedies on my birthday. Score!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment