Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Rainy Day Baking

I don't know what it is about rainy weather, it just draws me to the oven. And since it rained all day last Saturday, I just had to bake.

I was kind of upset with myself for not having a pie available last Friday (pi day), but it has since been pointed out to me that since this year is 2014, we have an entire pi month! Can you imagine the excitement?

I've also been getting a little tired of Japanese food, so I decided to go French, and make a quiche.  Of course, it doesn't count if it's a recipe I've made before, so I decided to try onion quiche.

Onions (according to this weekend's Wall Street Journal) are "hero foods" as are eggs and the olive oil I caramelized the onions in, so this has to be good for you.

The recipe is courtesy of Julia Child's The Way to Cook, which is a marvelous book. Julia's recipes are clear, and they always work - which is not a given in the cookbook industry. I got my copy at a used bookstore for 10 bucks, but it is well worth full price.  Even if I don't cook from it, I use it as a reference book, because Julia knows her stuff.

The only downside to this is that the house will smell like onions for the next three days. But for such a healthy, delicious and budget-conscious meal, it's worth it.

Onion Quiche

serves 6

3 cups of onions
2-3 Tablespoons olive oil
3 large eggs with enough milk to make 1-1/2 cups
1/4 shredded Swiss Cheese
1 9 inch pie crust (pre-made is fine)
salt, pepper, and nutmeg (to taste)

1. Pre-heat the oven to 375 degF.

2. Caramelize the onions in olive oil. (about 20 minutes over medium-low heat). Herbe de Provence is a nice addition, but completely optional.

3. While that is going on, make your custard, whisking 3 eggs into enough milk to make 1-1/2 cups. Add salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste.

4. Line you pie plate with crust and sprinkle all but 2 Tablespoons cheese in it. Note: Julia recommends pre-baking your pie crust, which does make the final result firmer, but I'm lazy and did without.

5. Pour the caramelized onions over the cheese.


6. Pour in the milk and egg mixture and top with the last two tablespoons of cheese.


7. Put in the oven for 30-40 minutes until golden brown.


Bon appétit!


No comments:

Post a Comment