Saturday, July 2, 2016

Spicy Grilled Shrimp

One of the benefits of living in Texas is the easy availability of good quality barbecue. It is something I desperately miss when I leave (that and decent salsa). But sometimes the soul gets tired of debating the merits of wood chips (mesquite or hickory) and dry vs. wet rubs and wants something lighter.

Soaking the skewers beforehand

These grilled shrimp are easy, the spice level is not overpowering but definitely there and they are great to eat hot off the grill. I've also turned them into shrimp salad and thrown a few (chopped finely) into an omelet. I love a versatile protein.

Marinating shrimp

And they are a cinch to make, the hardest part is threading them on the skewers, although I don't know why you couldn't just pan fry them. I may try that next time, because I am definitely making these again.

Grilling!
Random Tangent: Does anyone know why in restaurants they peel and de-vein the shrimp but leave the tail on? Am I the only person that finds that annoying? The way I see it, if you are going to peel the shrimp, finish the job.

Spicy Grilled Shrimp (courtesy of Food 52)


  • 1/3 cup Sriracha
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
  • 3 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1 handful cilantro, roughly chopped, plus more for garnish
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • Salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 pounds large shrimp (16 to 20 count), peeled and deveined

    1. Mix together the Sriracha, olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, cilantro, and sugar. Season aggressively with salt and pepper. Put in a 1-gallon plastic bag, add the shrimp, and mix together in the bag. Marinate in the fridge for 2 to 4 hours. Or longer. (Note: I left mine for a day and a half. I was busy.)                
    2. Heat a grill. Skewer the shrimp and grill until pink, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
    3. Remove the shrimp from the grill, slide the shrimp from the skewer using a fork, and pile on a serving platter. Sprinkle with finely chopped cilantro and eat!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment