Monday, November 12, 2012

Rocks & Walks

I have a thing for unusual rocks: interesting veins, deep colors, sparkly, embedded with fossils, I love them all.  So when I saw that the Houston Gem and Mineral Society was doing a show at the Humble Civic Center, there was no way I was going to miss it.  I was not disappointed.

Fossilized sand dollars
Fossilized ferns
In addition to the fossils, there were a lot of mineral samples. I had to keep myself from buying a polished labrodorite the size of a grapefruit. It was so pretty, but the grown-up that lives somewhere in my head reminded me that I have priorities other than shiny chunks of rock. Sigh.

Combination of malachite and azurite
They even set up a tent with black light to show off minerals that fluoresce. Wouldn't it be cool to have a garden edged with rocks that glow in the dark? (I must have been a set designer for Star Trek in a past life.)


Later, I went to the Light the Night walk for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. It was the first time anyone on my team had done the walk, and we had been expecting a 5k. It turned out to be a lot shorter than we thought, barely a mile. We spent more time standing around waiting for the walk to start than actually walking. Still, my team raised 1,100 for Leukemia and that's the real point.

No comments:

Post a Comment