270 lbs ( 5.4 lbs lost 105 lbs to go)
It's a start. Now on to the fun stuff.
In honor of Thanksgiving, I give you a casserole that I have taken to potlucks with great success. This is adapted from a stuffed apple appetizer from Susan Hermann Loomis' book: On Rue Tatin: Living and Cooking in a French Town. The original is wonderful and elegant, but a little difficult to share. This is a more homespun version.
Leek, apple and goat cheese casserole
A warm and hearty side dish. Serves about 6 people. (200 calories per serving)
- 4 apples (about 2 lbs)
- 2 leeks
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 8 oz fresh goat cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt to taste
2. Clean and chop the leeks (white and light green parts only). Put the leeks and butter into a frying pan over medium heat and cook until the leeks are soft, but not brown.
3. Put the goat cheese in a mixing bowl with the nutmeg. Add the leeks to the goat cheese and combine well. Salt to taste. Put aside.
4. Roughly chunk and core the apples. Peeling is optional.
5. Put the apples in a casserole and cover with the leek and goat cheese mixture.
6. Put into the oven and bake until brown, about 45 minutes.