Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Developing a Green Thumb

I've never been known for my way with plants. I've long been a practitioner of lazy girl gardening. Lazy girl gardening is very simple:
  1. Have a selection of nice planters/pots on the balcony, in the living room, wherever you want a plant.
  2. Go to the garden center and buy full grown plants.
  3. Transfer plants to the planters.
  4. When the plants die, replace them.
So when I bought my little house last year, I wasn't looking for a garden. A little outdoor patio or terrace, somewhere to relax on summer evenings with friends and a bottle of wine, but not a garden.
 
But now that I have actual ground to put things in, I find I'm interested. And I enjoy it, even if trying to dig a hole in the clay that passes for soil around here is hard and thankless work.  Last summer I planted three jasmine plants. I killed two of them immediately in a freak weedwhacker accident, but I replaced them and now look.


I have the most fragrant backyard in the neighborhood.  This weekend, I threw caution to the winds and planted mint. If this keeps up, I may have an herb garden before the summer's over.

If you have a garden and a library,
you have everything you need.
                                                       - Cicero




No comments:

Post a Comment